Sunday, January 25, 2009

Milk

I'm going to do my best to keep EVERY good movie and album off of this blog, because you can always read reviews in newspapers and online critics, etc. However, if a movie really hits me. If it sticks with me for a few days, or inspires, I can't help but mention it here.

Now don't get me wrong, other movies this past year were great. No discredit to The Wrestler, Man On Wire, Slumdog Millionaire, or any of the other amazing films this year. However, Milk takes the cake.




For those of you who don't know, Harvey Milk was an openly gay politician in the 1970's that was successfully elected San Francisco City Supervisor. He pretty much led the gay movement into the public and inspired the marches and oppositions to national anti-homosexual legislation. He was assassinated by fellow supervisor Dan White, along with the mayor of San Francisco

This kind of leader for any type of movement is electrifying. He was able to build a community where homosexuals could feel comfortable, and then gain enough power and voice in that area to demand equal rights. Thousands of people marched the streets of San Francisco, multiple times. He stood up for the one issue he believed in, and triumphed (for a little while, anyway). This wasn't only a victory for the gay community, it was a victory for politics as a whole.

I feel very inspired by this film. I've been watching movies with very powerful central figures, like Che or Man On Wire. Movies where the protagonist has a passionate goal and will stop at nothing to achieve it.

I'm at a point in my life where I need to get that passion back. I had it once, and I now lack a direction or goal. I think I'm waiting around for something to hit me, so I know which way to go. Sometimes politics will creep into my head, but I don't think I have the energy or attitude to get to the top. It's a gruesome game. I'd rather just play music.

Anyway, this is NOT my Oscar post. I will do a top 10 list once I have viewed a majority of the films. Soon, soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment