Friday, October 16, 2009

Speed Songwriting


My friend Joe, a PSU alumni and cameraman, has enlisted my help with a 24-hour film project. At 10 pm on Friday night, they receive a concept. They must write, cast, shoot, and edit a film to submit by 10 pm Saturday night. I'm in charge of the music.



For the last few years, a hobby of mine has been to score films. Since I tend to write things that around 30 seconds long, repetitive, and layered with different instruments, incidental music for films was always a perfect match for what I was doing. In an equally spur-of-the-moment recording session, I took "jealousy" (the only word we were given to work with) and wrote a bunch of rushed and kind of sloppy tunes and sent them over. At the end of everything, this stuff came out kind of interesting. Even when recording through a glove:



Shootout in the Wild West


Looking for Clues with a Magnifying Lens


Waiting On the Elevator


Pseudo Jazz


Once I get a copy of the video, I'll post the final version here. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment